SUMMARY OF ALABAMA TURTLE LAWS
1. Unlawful to take, capture, kill, or attempt to take, capture or kill, to possess, sell, or trade, or offer to sell or trade without a special permit, Mississippi DBT, Gopher Tortoise, Alabama Map, Alabama Red Belly, Alligator Snapper, Barbour’s Map or Escanbia Bay Map, Black Knobbed Sawback & Flattened Musk Turtle.
2. Any native unprotected species, as well as non-native species, may be kept as pets. However, No person, firm or corporation shall import or cause to be imported, any non-indigenous turtle species for the purpose of propagation.
TAKING FROM THE WILD
1. It is unlawful to collect or offer for sale or trade any box turtle without special permit. Possession limit of one.
2. Unlawful to collect, harvest, possess, offer for sale or trade any common snapper or softshell with a carapace length less than 8 inches. Two unregulated turtles per day may be taken for personal use but cannot be sold, traded etc. Turtles may be taken by hand, dip net or hook and line. This includes both public and private waters.
1. It is unlawful to take, attempt to take, sell or possess any turtle egg or turtle or parts thereof from the wild in this state, to include public and private waters, for commercial purposes.