1. It is unlawful to sell, purchase, harm, take, possess, or transport any native tortoise (Gopherus). Non-natives are legal.
2. Non-native species may not be imported without a permit. In 2010 the state stopped issuing permits. Native reptiles and amphibians are those subspecies, and species of the classes Reptilia indigenous for California or produced in captivity. No permit is required for the possession, propagation, importation, exportation, transportation, purchase or sale of captively-bred native albino reptiles.
3. It is unlawful to release any turtle kept in captivity into the wild
4. Cities and counties have additional authority to regulate possession, collection and permits
5. It is unlawful to import, transport, or possess any live Snapping Turtle
6. The department may authorize the possession and propagation of no more than three species and no more than 30 individuals in the aggregate including progeny under a native reptile propagation permit. Within the overall limit of 30 individuals, no more than four of any one species to be taken from the wild
TAKING FROM THE WILD
1. Only Sliders, Painted Turtles and Softshells (no limit) may be taken from the wild with a sportfishing license. All others are protected.
2. Cities and counties have additional authority to regulate collection, possession and permitting
3. No animals may be taken from national or state parks
4. Reptiles may be taken at any time of day or night
5. Turtles may be taken by hand or hook and line.
6. It is unlawful to use any method or means of collecting that involves breaking apart of rocks, granite flakes, logs or other shelters in or under which turtles may be found.
7. Wild caught native turtles cannot be sold, bartered etc.
1. Except for pet shops, every person, who, for commercial purposes, sells, possesses, transports, imports, exports or propagates native turtles shall have a native reptile propagation permit
2. It is unlawful to display, in any place of business where pets or other animals are sold, native reptiles or amphibians which cannot lawfully be sold.
3. It is unlawful to sell wild caught turtles