1. Up to five (5) individuals of each species of native reptile or amphibian may be taken year round from the wild, or legally obtained from a breeder, and possessed for personal use without a permit.
2. There is no limit on Common Snappers or Softshells
3. A non-commercial captive wildlife permit required for persons wishing to possess, but not sell more than the quantities mentioned above
4. No permit is required to hold reptiles with a color morphology that is distinctly different from the wild type of the same species of reptile.
5. A wildlife transportation permit shall be obtained for all shipments of wildlife (native or exotic) prior to receiving a shipment of wildlife, importing wildlife into Kentucky or transporting wildlife into and through the state to a destination outside of Kentucky.
6. Possession of Alligator Snapping Turtles is unlawful
7. A person shall not possess native wildlife that was not legally acquired or buy, sell, offer to buy, offer to sell, trade or barter native wildlife obtained from the wild.
8. A person shall not buy, sell, possess, import, or release any aquatic species not native or established in Kentucky waters, except a person may buy, sell, import, or possess aquarium species but shall not release the species into Kentucky waters
TAKING FROM THE WILD
1. Five (5) or fewer individuals of each species of native reptile or amphibian may be taken year round for personal use without a permit. A fishing license is required.
2. Only Snapping turtles (except alligator snapping turtles) and softshell turtles may be taken year round by trap or any of the same methods legal for taking rough fish species. Commercial fishing gear may not be used to take turtles. A hunting license is required when taking turtles by gun or by bow and arrow. Otherwise a fishing license is required.
3. Any species other than Snappers or Softshells caught in traps must be immediately released.
1. There is no limit on the number of captive bred individuals of each species possessed by a commercial captive wildlife permit holder. However, the permit holder may not possess more than five (5) wild-caught individuals of each species.
2. A commercial captive wildlife permit shall be required for a person to sell, offer to sell, trade, or barter native wildlife. A person shall not buy, sell, offer to buy or sell, or trade or barter native wildlife obtained from the wild; only captive-bred native wildlife may be commercially offered.