1. You must have a Reptile/Amphibian Wholesale/Dealer’s License to buy for resale native reptiles or to transport them for commercial purposes in or out of state, whether wild caught or captive reared, regardless of generations removed from the wild or geographic origin.
2. It is unlawful to possess a Gopher tortoise (Gopherus polyphemus), Ringed map turtle (Graptemys oculifera) or any Sea Turtle
3. Non-native species do not appear to be regulatedYou must have a basic fishing license to collect and/or possess native reptiles in Louisiana
4. You must have a Reptile/Amphibian Collector’s License to sell wild caught native reptiles to wholesalers and retailers in Louisiana
5. You may not buy or sell box turtles in Louisiana but may have up to 4 in your possession, regardless of origin, per person, unless you have a turtle farming license.
6. Wild-caught alligator snapping turtles and parts thereof may not be bought or sold in Louisiana. There are no total possession limits and no size restrictions but the bag limit is one per day. Anyone with a Collector’s License, Wholesale Dealer’s License or Commercial Fishing License may not possess alligator snappers or parts.
TAKING FROM THE WILD
1. You must have a basic fishing license to collect native reptiles in Louisiana. Natural habitats such as stumps or logs may not be destroyed while searching for animals. Removal of nesting or nest-tending animals is prohibited.
2. There is a limit of 1 Alligator Snapping Turtle per day per boat or vehicle, no total limits, and no size restriction that may be taken under the basic fishing license.
3. No turtle eggs may be taken except for those of the red-eared slider (Trachemys scripta), wherever found.
4. All non protected native species can be legally taken by residents possessing a valid recreational fishing license.
5. Diamondback Terrapins must have an minimum SCL of 6″ and may not be taken by trap or taken between April 15 and June 15
1. Anyone gathering reptiles for sale must possess a Commercial Reptile and Amphibian Collector’s License
2. You must have a Reptile/Amphibian Wholesale/Dealer’s License to buy for resale native reptiles or to transport them for commercial purposes in or out of state, whether wild caught or captive reared, regardless of generations removed from the wild or geographic origin.
3. All persons selling native, captive-reared reptiles or amphibians, regardless of the number of generations removed from the wild, shall be required to possess a reptile and amphibian wholesale/retail dealer’s license.
4. Holders of any of the above licenses may not have Alligator Snappers in their possession.
5. Any person buying, acquiring, or handling, from any person, by any means whatsoever, or for propagation for sale, any live species of native reptile, except farm raised aquatic turtles, in Louisiana, from within or outside the state, for sale, or resale, whether on a commission basis or otherwise, is a wholesale/retail reptile amphibian dealer and shall possess a reptile and amphibian wholesale/retail dealer’s license.