1. It shall be unlawful to buy, sell, barter or trade any reptile or amphibian taken from the wild in Ohio except snapping turtles and softshell turtles
2. A Noncommercial Propagating License is required for people who permanently possess native reptiles but do not intend to sell, offer for sale, trade or barter animals. The license holder may possess an unlimited number of reptiles of which only four total individuals of each reptile or amphibian have been taken from the wild.
3. It is unlawful to release into the wild any reptile that is captive bred, obtained from outside the state, held in captivity for more than 30 days or held with other animals.
4. Ohio regulations do not appear to regulate non-native turtle species other than to forbid their release into the wild.
5. It shall be unlawful for an Ohio resident to take or possess more than 4 total individuals of each species of collectable reptiles (Snappers and Softshells) from the wild in Ohio.
TAKING FROM THE WILD
1. A fishing license is required to take turtles from Ohio waters.
2. Only snapping and softshell turtles may be legally taken. Snapping turtles and softshell turtles must have a straight-line carapace length of 13 inches or greater to be taken and there is no daily limit.
3. Turtle season is open July 1 through April 30.
4. Turtles may not be taken by shooting with a gun or crossbow, or by use of a spring or steel trap except snapping turtles and softshell turtles may be taken with standard archery equipment.
1. A Commercial Propagating License is required for people wishing to sell, offer for sale, trade, or barter native reptiles which have been captively produced, legally obtained from out of state, or are the offspring of wild-captured animals. With this license, the license holder may possess for sale, trade or barter an unlimited number of reptiles and amphibians that are captively produced or legally obtained, with proper documentation.
2. It shall be unlawful to buy, sell, barter or trade any reptile or amphibian taken from the wild in Ohio except snapping turtles and softshell turtles