1. Five of the seven native species are protected. It is unlawful to harvest any Blanding’s, false map, spiny softshell, smooth softshell, or ornate box turtles in South Dakota
2. A person may not buy, sell, barter, or trade any species of turtle. A person may not export snapping turtles for any purpose other than personal consumption.
3. A Fishing or Combination Hunting/Fishing license is required to take turtles from the wild
4. Season is open year around for all species except those shown above
5. Daily bag limit of unprotected species is 2 per species
6. Possession limit is 4 per species
7. Turtles may be taken by hand, hook and line, seines, gaff hooks, spears or traps.
8. Commercial activity of turtles is unlawful