1. It is illegal to sell or purchase any turtle species that are native or naturalized in Virginia, but they may be given away and kept as pets, as long as the person has no more than five individuals of that species in captivity
2. Turtle species that are not native or naturalized in Virginia, and are not federally listed as threatened or endangered, may be sold or purchased, either on your own or through a pet store.
3. It is illegal to relocate, or liberate, turtles in Virginia
4. Albino reptiles and amphibians may be imported, possessed, and sold.
5. There is a ban on collecting and possessing northern diamondback terrapins and spotted turtles (even though these species are not theatened or endangered, there is a specific regulation banning their collection and possession).
6. It is unlawful to possess any endangered or threatened species. Virginia species falling under that category are: wood turtles, bog turtles, chicken turtles and all Sea Turtles.
TAKING FROM THE WILD
1. It is lawful to collect and possess live for private use only, and not for sale, no more than 5 individuals of any unprotected species of amphibian and reptile.
2. Taking turtles by hook and line requires a fishing license
3. Snapping turtles may be taken for personal use with hoop nets not exceeding 6 feet in length with a throat opening not exceeding 36 inches
1. Only Common Snapping Turtles may be taken for commercial purposes and requires a permit. There is a daily bag limit of 5.
2. Snapping turtles may not be collected for commercial purposes from October 1 through May 31.
3. Snappers may be taken by set poles, nets and traps. Any other species must be immediately released unharmed.
4. Minimum shell size for snapping turtles shall be 11 inches lengthwise (from front to back) following the curve of the shell.
Snapping turtles may not be taken from the banks or waters of designated stocked trout waters.
6. Snapping turtles may be held and sold by AF and PS for human consumption and for aquarium use. Turtles must be legally obtained from a permitted dealer or collector and the minimum shell size shall be 9 inches lengthwise.